Important update from the Partners – May 2024

Dear Patients, We last wrote to you in June 2021 during the pandemic. We thought it would be a good idea to write to you once more to update you on what is going on in General Practice and the wider NHS. As the Covid pandemic ends, the NHS has been left in the worst

Need help with a non-urgent medical or admin request? Contact us online.

What to do when we are closed

Out of Hours Service

Our Out of Hours GP Service is provided by Herts Urgent Care (HUC).

HUC provide telephone advice, home visits and can also arrange for you to be seen at a Primary Care Centre for appropriate medical treatment.  If the condition is serious, they will arrange transport to hospital via an ambulance.

HUC provides the NHS 111 service in Hertfordshire (see below).  If you are calling from a Hertfordshire phone area, you can contact HUC outside normal surgery hours for free on 111.

NHS 111 Service

Wherever you are in England, if you need medical help fast, but it’s not a 999 emergency, you should call 111.  This will direct you to your local Urgent Care provider (e.g. Herts Urgent Care).

You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation.  The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

NHS Walk-In Centres

At NHS Walk-In Centres (WICs), you can see a nurse/GP without an appointment.

They offer advice, assessment and treatment for minor ailments and injuries. Please note, WICs are not designed for treating long-term conditions or immediately life-threatening problems.

Your nearest NHS Walk-In Centres are:

Hospital Minor Injuries Units

If you sustain an injury that is not serious or life-threatening, you should attend a Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) rather than going to an Accident and Emergency department.

Your nearest Minor Injuries Unit is:

Integrated Urgent Care Hub

The Integrated Urgent Care Hub treats urgent but not life-threatening health conditions. It offers appointments between 9am and 6pm, seven days a week and provides access to diagnostic services such as x-rays.

Patients are booked into the service, often with same day appointments, through NHS 111 or their GP practice. It is not a walk-in service.

You can see the latest information on all of our Emergency and Urgent services at:

Our services and departments: West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust (

There is also a Minor Injuries Unit at:

Urgent Care Centres

You can also visit an Urgent Care Centre if you need urgent medical treatment or advice which does not need a visit to A&E.  Urgent Care Centres treat most injuries and illnesses that are urgent but not life-threatening.  You don’t need to book an appointment – just turn up and you will be seen by either a doctor or nurse.

Your nearest Urgent Care Centres are:

Accident and Emergency Departments

Accident and Emergency departments are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to treat serious or life-threatening injuries or illnesses. If an ambulance is needed you should dial 999.  You can also dial 112, which is the emergency number throughout the EU.

Your nearest A&E departments are at:

In a genuine emergency you should call 999. Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.


The NHS 111 service is available for deaf people to contact 111 medical staff. Fully qualified and experienced interpreters. This is for use when:

  • You need help quickly, but it is NOT an emergency;
  • You think you might need to go to A&E but are not in imminent danger
  • You don’t know who to contact, or your GP is not available;
  • You need health information or advice on what to do next.

How To Make Contact

Go to Interpreter Now – NHS 111. Click on Connect – a BSL interpreter will appear on your screen.

Making contact in BSL is easy. You can do it from any computer, and almost all tablets and mobile phones.

Mental Health Crisis?

You should call 999 or go to A&E if you, or someone you know, experiences a life-threatening medical or mental health emergency. These are cases where there is immediate danger to life or physical injury. A mental health emergency should be taken as seriously as a medical emergency. If you feel like you may be close to acting on suicidal thoughts or have seriously harmed yourself, you should call 999 or go to A&E directly if you need immediate help and are worried about your safety.

Further guidance & help